Chiu-Nan Lai, Ph.D.
In a recent teaching, the wise teacher Lama Zopa Rinpoche mentioned that because of mankind’s negativities and afflictions, and lack of merit and good heart, we are entering the degenerate age where living conditions are deteriorating and obstacles are increasing. At this time, it is most important for us to cultivate our spirituality, develop our loving kindness, and make preparations to leave this world at any moment. At the moment of death, our best protection is our loving kindness and compassion, take refuge in the enlightened object of our spiritual practices(the Buddhas and Bodhisattvas, Jesus, etc) and our own luminous pure nature.
Only when there is no fear will our consciousness be able to make smooth transition to the Western Pureland, or other Purelands and heavens. We will then be able to continue our spiritual growth on the path of light.
We need to persevere in cleansing our minds of defilements, and fulfill our aspirations and ideals. The dharma provides many methods to purify our minds and deepen our compassion. These include performing the Confessions of 35 Buddhas, the Great Compassion Repentance, Nyungnay Retreat, Medicine Buddha Practice, and observing the Eight Mahayana Precepts, etc. We need to ceaselessly pray for the happiness of all beings.
The article “Infinite Blessings on the Great Path of Light” reiterates the need to ceaselessly pray and wish for the well-being of all beings. In this way, when we encounter impermanence, we will be ready. During our prayers, we will be protected by the light of our spiritual nature. The following is an even simpler way to elevate our light, and raise the energy level of ourselves and surroundings.
I invoke the light of perfection within
The light is within
I am light
Light is our own luminous nature realized by enlightened and holy beings. It is the light of the Buddhas and Bodhisattvas. There was a man who entered the bardo after his death, and saw a ray of light reaching his consciousness. He recognized that this was Bodhisattva Avalokiteshsvara. Out of curiosity, he asked Avalokisteshsvara why she/he came to guide him. Avalokiteshsvara replied that in a past life, this man was injured in the wilderness and prayed to Avalokiteshsvara for help. Because of this past karma, Avalokiteshsvara would take care of him life after life, through the power of the compassionate Bodhisattva’s vows.
After the earthquake in Japan this time, the compassionate Lama Zopa Rinpoche transmitted the Ksitigarbha Bodhisattva long and short mantras and advised students to pray to Ksitigarbha (see appendix). Readers can also refer to the Lapis articles “The Medicine Buddha Practice to Prevent and Heal Ailments” and “The Most Excellent Mahayana Eight Precepts”. Last year, we obtained from Lama Zopa Rinpoche his handwritten “Water Liberation Mantra” given by Padmasambhava. Water that has been blessed by this mantra has purification properties. Through the dedication and effort of everybody, glasses engraved with this mantra have been sent to the water supplies and sea water of over forty countries. Interested individuals can also purchase these glasses from Lapis Lazuli Light centres. This is a holy being’s gift that has appeared in these dire times, enabling those with the good merits to obtain its blessings.
How do we protect ourselves from nuclear radiation? The above spiritual practices and light visualization are most helpful, and greatly surpass the protection offered in the material world. However, there are still some material things that can offer us protection.
For instance, all the information on healthy living and products provided by Lapis Lazuli Light are useful. When our bodies’ digestive and excretory systems are functioning well, they can rapidly detox and heal any damage from radiation. Hence, it is best to consume uncontaminated natural vegetarian food and supplement it with appropriate amount of special protective food. The emphasis is on “appropriate”, not excessive consumption. Sometimes, in a state of panic, overconsumption of these protective food can create problems.
The following are foods with protective properties:
- All vegetables with chlorophyll, including wheat grass and barley grass.
- Kelp, algae, and seaweed.
- Buckwheat and fresh sunflower seeds.
- Naturally fermented cabbage and miso.
Many years ago, Dr. Ann Wigmore ate some irradiated food and damaged her digestive system. She recovered by drinking rejuvelac and wheat grass juice.
In addition, sea salt and baking soda bath can remove radiation. Add one pound of salt and one pound of baking soda to a bathtub of water, and soak for twenty minutes. Bentonite clay or other clay baths can also remove radiation. Some of the health supplements by Lapis such as Bliss De Light, enzymes, and sea minerals are also helpful.
In addition, toxin-discharging organs such as the large intestines, liver, gall bladder, kidney and lungs need to clear their old debris in order to handle new contaminants. The following are methods to do so:
- To clear the large intestines, eat natural food and drink clean water. Take sufficient friendly bacteria and enzymes. Naturally fermented cabbage can aid digestion. Also, squatting down to pass motion is a natural position that does not block the intestines. The modern sit-down toilet is unnatural. It prevents complete emptying of the bowels and easily leads to piles. If your house has a sit-down toilet, you can place two stools beside it and squat on the tools to pass motion. Alternatively, you can put a basin on the floor and squat to pass motion, and then pour the excreta into the toilet. If you can install a new toilet, then change to a squatting one. In the West, only the king or noblemen in the past sat down to pass motion, while the common people squatted to do so. Later on, people who made flush toilets wanted to let the ordinary folks experience the lifestyle of the royal families, and changed the toilets to the sitting type. This has the unexpected effect of interfering with people’s bodily functions. A small change had a big impact indeed.
- For liver detoxification the key is eliminating the stones accumulated in the liver and gall bladder. This method involves using malic acid from apple juice, pure malic acid or apple cider vinegar to soften the stones, and then using oil and lemon juice to stimulate the secretion of bile to flush out the stones. I have introduced this method previously. Recently, there is a Chinese-translation of a book by Andreas Moritz titled “The Amazing Liver and Gallbladder Flush” that discusses an amazing way to discharge liver and gall stones. Refer to the book for a thorough explanation and detailed procedure on how to do so.
- The kidney also accumulates stones. A gradual and steady way to discharge the stones is to drink lemon juice mixed with warm water every morning. Alternatively, one can use the herbal approach mentioned in Moritz’s book.
- Detoxification of the lungs involves exercising in an environment with clean fresh air, and deep breathing. It is very important to avoid unnecessary exposure to radiation or electromagnetic radiation. Radiation is particularly harmful to the lungs. For our survival, reduce the use of mobile phones and wireless internet connections.
Colour influences our body and mind (see “Let There Be Light: Practical Manual for Spectro-Chrome Therapy Book”). Purple nourishes our qi, deep blue and blue colours have protective functions, while green is healing. We can drink water that has been exposed to light through colour filters. Alternatively, place the colour filters next to the windows to receive the necessary light. In our day to day lives, we should get ready to face challenging times so that we do not panic when we encounter disasters. At that time, it is still useful to remember the Chinese idiom “Grasp the Buddha’s feet in times of need”.
Remember: Do not stop praying for the welfare and happiness of others.
Attached below are Lama Zopa Rinpoche’s long and short mantras of Ksitigarbha Bodhisattva, and associated prayers.
Lama Zopa Rinpoche’s discourse on helping victims of the 2011 tsunami:
Rinpoche wishes that the following message be relayed to all Buddhist Centres and students who may be affected by the tsunami.
Rinpoche advises recitation of Ksitigarbha mantra and prayer, and also chanting of the Buddha’s name mantra, while at the same time earnestly taking refuge and making strong prayers. Rinpoche indicates that this is beneficial to all who are affected by the tsunami, even if you are not affected personally.
Respect for Sakyamuni Buddha: prayer and mantra
Ksitigarbha Long Mantra, Selected Practice and Instruction